|1. Miracle-Gro||2. Jobe’s Organics||3. Jobe’s Organics|
If you think that just planting seeds and watering them can turn them into healthy growing plants, then you are wrong. Plants require complex nutrients that they derive from the soil.
But there is a slim chance that your garden soil has the perfect combination of these nutrients. Most of the times, the soil you are working with lacks many vital nutrients that are required by your plants.
In that case, your plants will not grow as healthy as you want it to be. You need to feed your plants with these vital nutrients to achieve the growth that you are expecting.
One of the best ways to supply these key nutrients to your plants is by using an organic fertilizer. Whether you are growing fruits, vegetables or flowers, you can use an organic fertilizer with any plant you want.
There are both non-organic and organic fertilizers available. But for better results for growing, organic fertilizers are considered to be the best.
If you are new to gardening and have less knowledge about organic fertilizers, no worries because we have got your back. In this article, you will find the names of ten of the best organic fertilizer for vegetable that you can feed your plants.
Buying Guide For Best Organic Fertilizer For Vegetables
So you have decided to grow plants in your backyard. In that case, you must be aware that you need to take proper care of your plants. Without care and nourishment, your plants won’t blossom or bear fruit.
If you thought that gardening is easy – then you are wrong. Just planting trees won’t help if you do not take proper care of your plants. By proper care, we don’t mean just spraying water and pesticides. Also, to this, you need to feed nutrients to your plants. This is key to a healthy growing plant.
Your backyard or garden soil doesn’t have all the nutrients that your plant needs. This is why you need to add it separately to the soil. Growing your plants without the use of organic fertilizers is quite tough.
This is especially true when your soil quality is not up to the mark. With the use of a high-quality organic fertilizer you can solve this problem easily.
There are various organic fertilizers available in the market. But you need to choose the right product for your plant. If you are new to gardening, chances are you don’t have much knowledge about it. In that case, you can take the help of the guide given below.
Things To Look For In Organic Fertilizer For Vegetables
Buying the best organic fertilizer for vegetable garden is not an easy task. You need to understand what your plant needs. Based on that you need to choose the fertilizer.
There are many factors that you need to consider before buying an organic fertilizer. These factors will determine whether the product is suitable for your plants or not. Take a look at the pointers given below to get an idea.
1. Soil Type
The first important thing is the type of soil you have in your backyard. For example, is it loam, sand or clay? Most gardens have a combination of all three soils. But loam is considered to be the best out of the three options.
The fertilizer you choose should be based on the type of soil you have. This is important so that your soil can nicely absorb the fertilizer instead of it getting washed away.
2. Required Nutrients
The next important thing is to check what are the nutrients required by your soil. In other words, you need to check what your soil is missing. For this, you need to undertake a soil test. Once you know the nutrients missing from your soil, you can add them by applying a high-quality fertilizer.
The soil test will give you the exact composition of nutrients that your soil needs. Based on this information, you can choose the fertilizer, so that it matches with your soil.
3. Check The Numbers
You must have seen numbers like 6-12-0 on the packets of fertilizers. This indicates the NPK ratio in the product. For example Nitrogen 6%, Phosphorous 12% and 0% potassium.
Before buying the fertilizer you should once check the NPK ratio printed on your pack. This will give you an idea of what you are feeding your plants. Fertilizers contain all types of micronutrients which replenish the soil.
4. Know Your Plants Right
Every plant is different and thus, they grow differently. When you take proper care of your plans by feeding them fertilizers, they grow fast. Organic fertilizers are considered to be great for the growth of your plants as it contains all the required nutrients your plants need.
When buying an organic fertilizer, you need to make sure that it doesn’t contain any synthetic chemicals or GMOs. These substances cause harm to your plants instead of helping them grow.
As a result, your plants will grow slowly. In some cases, they may even die. This is why it is better to use organic fertilizer as it doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
The products reviewed below are all organic fertilizers. You can choose any of the products from the list to provide the care that your plants need.
List Of Organic Fertilizers That Your Plant Needs
1. Tea Making
By ‘tea-making’ we do not mean making tea, literally. This means the mixing of other organic materials in your organic fertilizer. Gardeners, usually mix worm based waste or compost to produce a lot of bacteria in the soil.
However, just mixing the materials won’t help. It also involves heating the mixture and watering it. You need to be careful so that you don’t overheat the mixture. In that case, the important bacteria will all die.
Once it gets to normal temperature, you can add the mixture to your plants. You don’t have to do this during the seedling stages. With the use of this mixture, you can help your plants grow better and healthier. The mixture is so effective that it can even revive a dying or older plant.
2. Remove Bad Soil
In case, you haven’t changed the soil in your garden or pots for long, you should do it before adding organic fertilizers. This is to make sure that everything starts fresh. Not just that, but it will also boost germination. Apart from that you also need to check the water levels and make sure that your soil has enough moisture in it. Using too much water is not recommended.
When your soil is moist, you can water your plants sparingly in the first week or two weeks. However, you need to know the stage where you don’t have to water your plants at all.
3. Learn To Wait
Waiting for your plants to germinate is the most difficult thing to do. It can take from one week or more. However, this is completely dependent on the plant you are working with. But if your plants are taking too long, then you must have prepped the soil wrong. Another reason could be that you didn’t feed enough water to your plants.
As a gardener, you should know all the factors that may affect the growth of your plants. Some of the other factors include weather, temperature, and sunlight as well. These are some of the biggest factors that affect your plant’s growth. You need to treat your plants right in every season. Also, you should do the garden work at the right time. This is known to promote better results.
4. Common Problems
One of the main problems with organic fertilizers is the smell. Some of the fertilizers smell bad and worse at times. That’s because they are made of special ingredients like seaweed or fish. When you add this fertilizer, the smell lingers around the pot. If you are planting indoors then this may create a lot of problems for you. It’s not good for outdoors even.
You cannot do anything about the smell. The only option you are left with is to pick an alternative that doesn’t have such a bad smell. This awful smell is produced by the bacterial waste. It lets you know that the soil is ready for the plants to grow.
Another problem with fertilizers is that they are not sold in strong bags. If the bag doesn’t last long, then you can place the fertilizer in a different container.
The market is filled with loads of organic fertilizer options. In such a situation, it may be really difficult for you to find the right product for your plants. To get the best product, you need to have proper knowledge about them. But if you are a newbie then you may have a tough time finding the right fertilizer.
To help you out, we have shortlisted ten of the best products for your use. You can choose any of the products from the list. With the help of these products, you can promote better growth. These products are designed to give you the best results.
Top 10 Best Organic Fertilizers For Vegetables In 2022
1. Miracle-Gro Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food, 3 lbs
Unlike other chemical-rich products, this is safe for your plants. If you use it the way it is instructed, then it is guaranteed to work instantly. You can use it on all flowers, vegetables, trees, and shrubs. To get the desired results, you need to feed every 7 to 14 days when your plants are in the actively growing stage.
- It is water-soluble and all-purpose plant food.
- It is known to contain chelated iron and five other trace elements along with soil penetrant.
- It can be used for all types of plants including vegetables, fruits, roses, houseplants, trees, and shrubs.
- It is known to work instantly for quick and better results.
- It is safe for all plants and is guaranteed not to burn when used as directed.
- It is rich in essential nutrients that help your plants to grow healthy and beautifully.
- With the use of this product your plants will grow bigger.
- Suitable for all plants
- Safe to use
- Rich in essential nutrients
- Available in three sizes
- Works instantly
- Bigger plant growth
2. Jobe’s Organics 09524 Purpose Granular Fertilizer
With the help of Jobe’s Organics Fertilizer you can restore, maintain, and enhance the quality of your soil. This will result in better and healthy plant growth. This is the best organic fertilizer you can use.
For better results, you are advised to mix it with soil before planting. The good thing is that it can be used for all plants. Unlike most other fertilizers, this is renewable, sustainable, biodegradable and safe for the environment. It is designed to give you long term benefits. It is free of all chemicals and thus, allows you to create a healthy ecosystem for your plants and family.
- It is a fast-acting fertilizer that can be used for flowers, vegetables, shrubs, trees, and plants.
- It contains Jobe’s Biozome, which is the proprietary microorganism archaea that helps break down materials for faster results. It also helps in improving soil conditions, resists disease, insects, and drought during the growing season.
- It contains no synthetic chemicals which makes it safe for the environment, kids and pets.
- It promotes root growth and helps in improving nutrient absorption by the plants.
- This is one of the best organic fertilizers which can be used to improve the quality of your soil.
- It helps plants resist disease and insects for healthier growth.
- Contains Biozome
- Free of chemicals
- Save for the environment, kids, and plants
- It helps resist insects and diseases
- Promotes root growth
- It helps in nutrient absorption
- Suitable for all plants
- Not good for all plants as mentioned
3. Jobe’s Organics Vegetable & Tomato Fertilizer Spikes, 50 Spikes
Jobe’s Organics Vegetable & Tomato Fertilizer is designed to feed all varieties of plants. It is known to improve the quality of soil and promote a better environment for your plant. Not just that, but it also prevents the depletion of valuable soil nutrients. It also boosts the uptake of nutrients and reduces the risk of insects, diseases, and drought.
- Unlike other types of fertilizers, Jobe’s spikes are pre-measured. This allows you to feed your plants just the right dosage of nutrients. This will ensure that you don’t overfeed or burn them.
- Jobe’s slow-release fertilizer spikes are also designed to prevent waste and chemical run-off. It comes pre-measured to provide your plants with the required nourishment at their roots.
- It is also OMRI listed for organic gardening by USDA. It is a certified organic fertilizer – means it doesn’t contain any synthetic chemicals.
- It contains Jobe’s biozome, the microorganism archaea that breaks down the materials faster for better results.
- It is also known to improve the condition and the quality of the soil and helps resist insects, diseases, and drought during the growing season.
- No chemical content
- Better results
- Contains biozone
- Improves soil condition
- Resists diseases and insects
- USDA certified
- Spreads mold
4. Fox Farm 6-4-4, 1-Pint FX14092 Grow Big Liquid Concentrate Fertilizer
Growing plants in your garden is not an easy task. To maintain and help your plants grow healthy, you need to apply fertilizers to them. You need to look for the finest grade of organic fertilizer to get better results.
In that case, you can rely on the use of this Fox Farm fertilizer. This is one of the best fertilizers you will find in the market.
The future of your plants is based on how you grow or take care of it. You can use this product in the early stages of your plants to boost their growth. Grow Big is an organic nutrient formula that is known to provide all the required nutrients to your plants during the growing stage.
This is water-soluble and fast-acting fertilizer. With the use of this product, you can promote the growth of lush vegetation in your garden.
It includes earthworm castings to promote healthier growth. It contains enough nutrients to provide your plant with nourishment.
- It is an organic-based concentrate that is made of a comprehensive blend of micro, major and minor nutrients.
- It is designed to promote spectacular growth in plants.
- This is best suited for plants like roses, flowers, veggies, fruits, herbs, and lawns.
- It contains all the required nutrients required by the plants. It will make your plants healthier and better.
- With the use of this product, you can get lush green vegetation in your garden.
- Rich in nutrients
- Better plant growth
- Not easily available
5. Dr. Earth Organic 5 Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer
Dr. Earth Home Grown fertilizer is formulated to feed vegetable gardens, summer and winter crops for better yield. You should use it during the initial planting of seeds and transplanting. To get better results you need to use it regularly as a top dressing or compost tea.
- It is available in 2 different sizes including 12 lbs and 24 lbs. You can choose according to your needs.
- It is rich in fish bone meal, kelp meal, feather meal, fish meal, alfalfa meal, mined potassium sulfate, and seaweed extract.
- It is designed to produce remarkable results. That’s because the nutrients contained in it are released quickly but it continues to feed for months.
- It is mainly meant for summer and winter crops. You can even use it for your vegetable plants, native backyard soil, and container plantings.
- Available in two sizes
- Good for summer and winter crops
- Contains a lot of nutrients
- Continues to feed for months
- Spreads mold
6. Plant Magic Plant Food 100% Organic Fertilizer
Organic Plant Magic is the best organic fertilizer you will find in the market. This is a unique fertilizer you can use for your plants. The specialty of this fertilizer is that it doesn’t just contain the normal nutrients that are found in other fertilizers.
Instead, it contains more than 55 trace minerals and millions of beneficial microorganisms as well. With the help of this unique organic fertilizer, you can make your plants healthier.
This contains all the nutrients that are required to promote plant growth. If you can use it correctly then you are sure to see the benefits. Before you think of getting this fertilizer for your plants, you should check out its features once.
- It promotes amazing growth and has a great colour and flavour. It contains compost tea that empowers your plants to express their full genetic potential and thus, resulting in an intensity of production, colour, taste, and vibrancy.
- One of the main advantages of using this fertilizer is that it doesn’t contain any synthetic chemicals to harm your plants. Instead, it naturally strengthens your plants so they can beat pests and diseases.
- This is an entirely organic fertilizer and therefore, it is completely safe for children, animals or the environment.
- Promotes plant growth
- No chemical content
- Completely safe to use
7. Charlie’s Compost 10 lb
Charlie’s compost is one of the best products you will find in the market. The ingredients used in it are comported for 8 to 12 weeks. This is the total time required to complete the composting process.
The compost is also air-dried many times to create a better compost. With the use of this product, you can promote better growth in your plants.
Charlie’s compost is not your regular NPK product. It is made of chicken manure, straw, cornstalks, forest products, clay, hay, and microbes. It has several nitrogen 5, potassium 4 and phosphorus 5.
- It is known to contain useful microbes that are needed by plants.
- The compost is available in a 10lbs bag. This is the only size available for this product.
- This product is to be applied to your soil before the start of the planting season. It is meant to improve the overall quality of your soil.
- It is suitable for both indoor and outdoor plants.
- Better results
- Improved quality of plants
- Better than NPK
- Available in just one size
8. Dr. Earth Exotic Blend Palm, Tropical & Hibiscus Fertilizer
If you want to grow flowering plants in your garden, then you should consider opting for this organic fertilizer. Exotic Blend dry fertilizer is designed for exotic plants such as palm, hibiscus, ferns, and tropical varieties. With the use of this product, you will get excellent results in your garden.
By applying this product you can achieve better, larger and natural blooms. That’s because you are providing all the required nutrients to your plants and more. It is known to contain a proven scientific formula that is meant to provide optimal levels of plant nutrition for stunning results.
This particular fertilizer is better than most other products in the market. Unless you use it and see the results for yourself, you wouldn’t believe it. Check out the list of features below.
- This is a non-GMO product verified fertilizer – means it doesn’t contain any synthetic chemicals in it. This makes the fertilizer 100% safe to use for your plants.
- It is also people and pet safe. The product does not contain any synthetic chemicals and therefore, you can use it before your children and pets. However, you should not let them touch it for precautionary steps. It also doesn’t contain any GMO infested chicken manure or toxic ingredients.
- This is one of the handcrafted fertilizers from human and feed grade ingredients. It is rich in multi-minerals, carbohydrates, proteins, humic acids, and trace elements. All these are required to promote the healthiest soils which can grow the healthiest tropical plants in your garden.
- This is also an OMRI, OIM, CCOF, NOP and Non-GMO verified product. It has been certified to have the highest levels of purity and quality.
- It is made in the USA through a collaboration of high-level environmentalists inspired to positively change the world.
- High quality
- Safe to use
- Made by experts
- Great results
- High levels of nutrients
9. Jobe’s Organics 9365 Fertilizer, 6 lb Garden Lime (4pcs)
Jobe’s Organic Garden Lime fertilizer is an ideal granular developed for boosting the pH value of the soil. As you may already know, the pH value has a strong influence on the health of the soil. For example, low pH can cause poor fertilizer response, poor soil structure, and weak turf. To grow healthy plants in soil, it needs to have a pH between 6 and 7. However, the ideal being 6.5-6.8.
When the pH drops below 6.0, many nutrients become unavailable for plant uptake. But you can solve this problem by adding garden lime to the soil. This will not only help increase the pH, but also make those nutrients available again. This is why you are advised to check the pH of your soil before applying the fertilizer.
With the help of this product, you can create the perfect growing environment for your plants. You can now grow your plants healthier and get better results with this product.
- It is an organic granular designed to increase alkalinity in soils. Low pH can cause poor fertilizer response and soil structure. But with this product, you can solve the problem easily.
- By adding garden lime, you can increase the pH and make those nutrients available again. You are advised to test soil pH before applying it and then again after applying it.
- It is also designed to help plants like hydrangeas turn pink. It creates a healthier and better-producing plant.
- It is also very easy to use. You need to re-apply it 2 to 3 times a year to maintain the desired pH.
- Organic granular
- Easy to use
- Increases alkalinity
- Promotes better growth
Here are some frequently answered questions about organic fertilizer.
1. Is too much of an organic fertilizer bad for your plants?
One of the common mistakes made by newbies is that they overfeed their plants. Applying more fertilizer is not going to promote extra growth in your plants. Instead, it will burn them and thus, make it more vulnerable to diseases and insects. Therefore, you need to apply it in the right measures.
2. Is it possible to over-fertilize with organic fertilizer?
As you continue to use organic fertilizer, it will make your soil stronger and healthier. In other words, it will improve the overall quality of your soil. Organic fertilizers are slow-release fertilizers and therefore, over fertilising is very difficult. Also, there is no risk of any toxic or salt build-up which can be harmful to your plants.
3. What are some examples of organic fertilizers?
Processed organic fertilizers are known to contain amino acids, humic acid, and seaweed extracts. Apart from that, it may also contain natural enzyme-digested proteins. Even decomposing residues of crops are also considered to be a good source of fertility.
4. Why is organic fertilizer better than a chemical one?
The reason behind this is very obvious. Organic fertilizers are not made with harmful and synthetic chemicals. This is why they are safe to use both for the environment and the gardener.
On the other hand, chemical fertilizers are mostly made of synthetic chemicals which brings damage to your plants over time. Also, they can be harmful to humans as well. This is why you are advised to keep your kids and pets away from it.
5. What kind of organic fertilizers do farmers use?
Farmers are mainly known to use manure along with certain types of pf processed fertilizers, such as mineral powders and seed meals. Minerals such as phosphate and green sand are important for plants.
If you are determined to create a beautiful garden in your backyard, then you need to grow your plants healthily. Not just that but you also need to maintain them properly. This can be made possible with the use of organic fertilizers.
These types of fertilizers are any day better than non-organic fertilizers, as they do not contain any synthetic chemicals. They are designed to promote better growth in plants.
Anyone who wants to get better results should use organic fertilizers. You can choose any of the products from the list above and apply it to your plants. These are all top-rated products in the market which can help you grow healthier plants.
These fertilizers are meant for both indoor and outdoor plants. Charlie’s compost and Dr. Earth are two of the best fertilizers you can choose. All the products are available in an affordable range as well.