|1. Black Decker||2. Worx||3. GreenWorks|
Lawn edgers are your dream product if you are the kind of person who loves to take care of their lawn. Through a lot of research, we have come to this conclusion that lawn edgers are better lawn tools than lawnmowers or trimmers.
The best lawn edger can keep your lawn and your garden healthy, beautiful and away from extra moisture that affects the bedding of your lawn during rain. Lawn edgers come with better-equipped sides to do away with such problems.
But they are expensive machines, and we don’t want you to make any wrong decision. This is why our guide provides you with a list of all the best lawn edgers of 2020 that are available in the market. But before revealing our list, here’s all the things that you should keep in mind before purchasing the item.
Benefits Of A Lawn Edger
Lawn edgers are usually more beneficial when it comes to trimming and shaping your garden. It can be used to keep the pathways and driveways neatly trimmed after you have freshly mowed your lawn.
If you have a large garden with flower beds, lawn edgers can elegantly trim, cut or reshape it, around the edges of the lawn.
It can also keep the sidewalk outside your house perfectly organized for your neighbours to envy your garden and lawn.
Common Types Of Lawn Edgers
There are mainly two kinds of lawn edger, the pole single-wheel edgers, and the walk-behind multi-wheel edgers. Here is a brief description of each of these types.
1. Pole Single-Wheel Edger
Pole Single-Wheel Edgers resemble weed trimmers. But it comprises two to three wheels which differ from the way a weed trimmer looks like. Usually, these are lightweight and can be used easily in tight spots.
2. Walk-Behind Multi-Wheel Edger
A Walk-behind Multi-wheel Edger is the one that has two to four wheels. These are generally bigger, and consist of a more powerful engine. They have two kinds of a handle, either a wide handle or two lever-type handles.
Specifications To Keep In Mind Before Purchasing A Lawn Edger
It is essential to know a few specifications before purchasing a lawn edger. We have brought you a list of components that you should consider if you are thinking of buying a lawn edger.
1. The Size Of Your Garden
Some people have a small garden, and some people have a large one with pathways, flower beds, and veggie patches. What you should keep in mind is that to maintain a small-sized garden, an electric pole single-wheel edger will be sufficient. For medium to large-sized gardens, a gas or battery-powered walk-behind multi-wheeled edger should be the only choice.
2. The Power Source Of The Edger
There are mainly three kinds of lawn edgers available in the market based on the power source. Electric (corded) lawn edger, a battery-powered lawn edger, and a gas-powered lawn edger.
3. Electric (Corded) Lawn Edger
These are ideal for small gardens and lawns. It requires minimum maintenance and is usually lightweight. These lawn edgers are very environment-friendly, and it comes at a cheaper cost. For a suburban lifestyle, these edgers are the best, as they produce little noise compared to the other types of lawn edgers.
The only disadvantage of these edgers is that they have a very limited range. Either you have to stay near the power outlet or use an extension cord to use it. Other than that, corded lawn edgers are simple and effective to trim your garden and lawn.
4. Battery-Powered Lawn Edger
This type of lawn edger is suitable for medium-sized gardens. Battery-powered edgers are environmentally friendly and portable, which can be charged quickly. It also makes a lot less noise while operating. It also has a minimal operational cost, as compared to electric (corded) edgers and gas-powered edgers.
The only disadvantage of this type of edger is that the battery can run out easily if you own a large field of the garden. You should purchase a second battery to deal with this problem. Generally, these lawn edgers have a strong lithium-ion battery that gives a good battery life.
5. Gas-Powered Lawn Edger
Gas-powered lawn edgers are perfectly suitable for large-sized garden maintenance. As opposed to electric lawn edgers, gas-powered lawn edgers are cleaner and precise.
They are easy to handle, as they provide an easy start, run smoothly and function quickly on your garden and lawn. They are more powerful as they comprise two to four-cycle engines.
Four-cycle engines are more efficient and environmentally friendly.
But the con is, these type of lawn edgers are pretty heavy to work with. Two-cycle engines are comparatively lighter than the four-cycle engines, but they require a mix of fuels. Other than being heavy, gas-powered lawn edgers are very expensive, emit fumes and can be pretty noisy.
6. Design Of The Lawn Edger
Owing to the back problem that many buyers suffer from, it is suggested that you go for an edger that you can walk behind. It helps you to operate the machine like you’d operate a lawn mower or weed eater. Walk-behind models are precise in their functioning and can cover more area.
For occasional use, a lawn edger of a stick model is a perfect fit. For more area and heavy tasks, the walk-behind models of lawn edgers are highly suggested.
7. Adjustment Of Blade And Depth Of Cut
It is recommended that you choose a lawn edger that comes with a height adjustment facility and blade adjustment mechanism. The depth of the cut will vary according to your lawn and garden area. However, a cutting depth of 2.5 inches and a 7 to the 9-inch blade is suggested for most cutting needs.
8. Comfortable To Use
For the maintenance of your garden, you should not compromise with your comfort. For small garden needs, a lightweight lawn edger is recommended with tight corners, which is also very easy to start and operate. For larger fields, a walk-behind multi-wheel lawn edger is recommended.
9. Extra Features
Some lawn edgers are multi-functional. They can provide you with two or more tools in one machine. Many basic edgers can be modified to be used as a trencher or a line strimmer, with little change of attachments. These kinds of edgers are recommended to you, if you’re looking for something that will get rid of long grass or reshape your flower beds.
Here is a list of all the best lawn edgers of 2020 with their specifications, pros, and cons. Our team has individually tested these devices and detailed their advantages and disadvantages. You can refer to this list and pick the edger that suits your needs.
Top 18 Best Lawn Edgers In 2022
1. Black Decker 12 Amp 2-In-1 Edger And Trencher
- This is a walk-behind model of a lawn edger. It weighs 12.4lb; it has a blade of 7.5 inches, a cutting depth of 1.5 inches and a dimension of 23x12x10 inches. It comes with a 12-amp high torque motor.
- It comes with built-in cord retention that also keeps the extension cord secure.
- This machine is extremely lightweight, which makes it very user-friendly and easy to handle.
- It has an exclusive pull-up edge guide that converts the edger into a landscape trencher.
- It has a three-position blade depth adjustment that lets you control the cut you want to make.
- The 7.5-inch blade can be a little too small for your utilization.
- The extension cord that comes with it has a very limited range.
- It is completely unsuitable for heavy-duty edging and manoeuvring thick grass.
This is our pick for the best land edger. It is a very reliable product if you own a small size garden. It can be used as a trencher to work on your flower beds, which makes the product even more unique. It will help you a lot in doing your job effectively.
2. Worx WG163 Gt 3.0 20v Power Share 12’
It is a 2-in-1 product that converts into a trimmer and then back to an edger. It is pretty reasonable a product, considering that you get the benefits of both a trimmer and edger for the price of one.
- It is a cordless machine with a requirement of 2 lithium-ion batteries. It weighs 6lb, and its dimensions are 36.3×7.5×5.5 inches.
- Two powerful 20V batteries come with this tool. It has a 12” cutting diameter and a 10” cutting line length.
- The device offers multipurpose benefits. It can be used both as an edger and a trimmer.
- It has rubberized wheels that support and guides the edger.
- It has an adjustable spacer guard that does not damage the plants, landscape features or any lawn ornament edging.
- The battery life of this product might not be very satisfactory.
It is easy to use a product with the benefit of two machines. It is highly recommended to you if you are looking for a neat manicured garden and lawn.
3. Greenworks 13-Inch 40v Cordless Edger
- It is a lawn edger that can be used in medium-sized garden and lawns. It weighs 9.26lb and has a dimension of 60x14x45 inches. It runs on one lithium-ion battery. Battery and charger are provided with the product.
- It is a very lightweight product and hence its easy to use.
- It has a push-button start that makes it even more manoeuvring.
- It has a pivoting head that allows for edging and trimming capability. It also comes with an edging wheel.
- The auto-feed of the machine might not suit your way of working on your field.
- The battery life of this 40V tool is also not satisfactory.
For a small to amedium-sized yard, this product is unbelievably good. You can work on this machine for 30-45 minutes at a stretch.
4. Black Decker MTE912 12-Inch Electric 3-In-1
- The item is ideal for manoeuvring on an area of 750 feet. It comes with a 6.5 motor amp. Its dimensions are 15.3×36.3×7.4 inches, and it weighs 13.1lb. It has a cutting height of 1.6 to 2.4 inches.
- It assures continual work with an AFS automatic feed system.
- This product features two adjustable heights for the mower deck, that can raise and lower on all four wheels.
- When it is 100% charged, it can run for 4 hours.
- The presence of a foot pedal allows it to insert or remove from tight spots quickly. Its automatic feature makes it work endlessly without any bumping.
- The item might be a little fragile to use, so it is recommended that you use it only occasionally.
It is a very convenient product to use, as it is lightweight and it runs for a long time without any break. If you’re looking for a machine that gives you the benefit of three products at a very low price, this is ideally made for you.
5. Worx Wg160 Gt 2.0 Power Share Cordless String Edger
- This machine can trim around ¼ acre of land. Its dimensions are 46.5x14x8.3 inches, and it weighs 5.72lb.
- It requires one lithium-ion battery of 20V. It has a cutting line length of 10 inches and a diameter of 12 inches.
- It works fast and saves a lot of time.
- It is budget-friendly.
- It comes with a flower space guard that protects vegetation and acts as a sharp edge.
- This device has a problem of overheating
It is one of the best cordless lawn edgers that are available in the market. So if you are looking for a product that will save your time, this is the one for you.
6. Black Decker LSTE525 20v Max Lithium Easy Feed Edger
- Its dimensions are 9.2 x 41.3 x 5.7 inches, and it weighs 6.3lb. It is also ideal for small-sized gardens. It requires 20V out of 2 lithium-ion batteries.
- It comes with a cutting swath of 12 inches and a line diameter of 0.065 inches.
- The item features Power Drive Transmission, which increases the torque of the machine for more power of cutting.
- You can control the speed of the item as it comes with a 2-speed control.
- The conversion of this item into a trimmer is also super easy.
- The battery takes a long time to charge.
If you want a neat and manicured lawn, this device should be your pick.
7. Worx Wg896 12 Amp 7.5’ Electric Lawn Edger
This product is ideal if you own a small to medium-sized garden. It comes with a cord lock that keeps the extension cord attached to it. It gives a more controlled trim and premium level of performance, all round the year.
- It is again a walk-behind model. It has a blade of 7.5 inches and a cutting depth of 1.5 inches. It weighs 14lb and has a dimension of 22.6×14.1×11 inches.
- It has two wheels in the back and one wheel in the front. It has an adjustable shaft length which helps you to adjust it according to your height. It also has a 12-amp motor and 3-position blade depth adjustment feature.
- It comes with a secured cord lock.
- It has an adjustable shaft.
- The device is lightweight.
- It is a budget-friendly choice.
- Cord length is short.
It is a very user-friendly product and definitely one of the best lawn edgers of 2020. If you are looking forward to doing away with those pesky corners of your garden in no time, we highly recommend this product to you.
8. Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger
- Its dimensions are 57.6 x 5.8 x 3.2 inches, and it weighs 4.05 pounds. It has a strong lacquered handle.
- This product is very handy and easy to use.
- It is very durable, and it keeps your sidewalk clear of weeds and grass.
- It comes with a ten-year free replacement warranty.
- It is not a multipurpose product, so you might have to invest in other expensive products like trimmers and mowers separately.
You can choose this lawn edger if you want a device that is long-lasting, as well as helps to keep your lawn free from overgrown grass.
9. Black Decker LCC222 20v Max Lithium Edger
- It is a compact edger with two 20V batteries. It weighs 10.4lb, and its dimensions are 42×10.4×7.2inches.
- It is a lightweight device.
- It does not produce much noise.
- It comes with an automatic feed spool, which ensures that there won’t be any bumping.
- It is a pocket-friendly product.
- The blower of this machine might be a little weak.
This is a lightweight product easy to use for lightweight duties, like cleaning and keeping your lawn and your garden clean.
10. True Temper 28112200 Dual Wheel Rotary Edger, 54 Inches
- Its dimensions are 62.5 x 5.7 x 6 inches, and it weighs 3.9lb. It is a 54-inch tool for your garden’s edging needs.
- It has a dual-tread rotary shear that trims away along the walkways, sidewalks, and flowerbeds delicately.
- The spike of the edger is a bit fragile for thick grass.
This kind of edgers are better used occasionally, and to maintain only the sidewalks and flowerbeds, where the mowers can not reach.
11. Worx Wg154 Edger 20v 10” Cordless String Trimmer
- The dimension of the product is 47 x 11 x 10 inches, and it weighs 6lb. It requires a maximum of one lithium-ion battery of 20V.
- There is a fixed ergonomic handle in this product that helps you to have a stronger grip over it.
- The charging period of this product might be too long (5 hours)
It is a compact, lightweight trimmer that can also function as an edger, and hence it is very easy to use – by anybody.
12. Greenworks 12 Amp Corded Edger 27032
This machine is perfectly suitable for a small garden purpose. Greenworks have come up with this great model that is ideal to be used as a powerful tool and manicuring a small yard. It is also a lightweight product that makes it very easy to use.
- This device weighs 17.82lb and has a dimension of 22.8x19x11.8 inches. Its blade is 7.5 inches and a cutting depth of 1.5 inches.
- The model comes with a push-button ignition instead of a ripcord. It has a powerful 12-amp motor that gives it the ability to edge neatly. This tool comes with a cord lock too.
- It is easy to handle and store, and is very cheap.
- As an edger, it functions perfectly.
- It comes with a double-edged blade and is very versatile.
- This model of Greenworks features small blades.
- The product cannot remove grass-roots.
- Due to its light weight, it might be a little too flimsy.
- It has a limited extension cord and is not suitable for cutting overgrown grass.
This is a lawn edger that is suitable to work with occasionally. The push-button ignition is an attractive feature that you would get at a very affordable price.
13. Black Decker Besta510 Electric String Edger
- It is a 7lb edger with dimensions of 8.5 x 4.9 x 37.6 inches. It comes with a 6.5 amp motor and a 2-year limited warranty.
- It comes with an Automatic Feed Spool technology that makes it function without any bumping.
- Cord length is short.
- The automatic feed system is not very user-friendly.
Its lightweight is what makes it super handy even as an electric lawn edger.
14. Troy Bilt Tb516 Ec 29cc 4-Cycle Wheeled Edger
- It is a 20lbs wheeled edger with a dimension of 15 x 24.5 x 14.3 inches. It has jump-start capable engine and a 9-inch dual-tip blade.
- It also has a six-position height adjustment feature with a cutting depth up to 2.5 inches.
- It can work on large-sized gardens.
- Its 9-inch dual-tip blade trims grass at a faster speed.
- It is not very environment-friendly, as it requires a mix of gas and oil to run.
- It is a heavy device, and hence working with it is a little difficult.
It is a very useful and efficient tool when it comes to maintaining large garden areas with pathways and flowerbeds. It can perfectly edge your lawn and sidewalks for a neat finish. In terms of its purpose, this product is simply great.
15. Worx Wg168 40v Lithium Cordless Grass Trimmer And Edger
- It is a 7.7lb machine with a dimension of 63 x 10.2 x 11.8 inches. It has a 13-inch cutting diameter and a line diameter of 0.08 inches.
- The tool is specified with 3-speed variable control and comes with a very efficient 40V battery.
- It has a handle that you can adjust completely according to your comfort.
- It has a long-lasting battery that takes minimum time to charge itself.
- There is a pullout metal guide attached to the tool that helps you with easier edging.
- It is very expensive.
It is a very efficient tool with the environment and user-friendly benefits. It can give your lawn, sidewalks, driveways, patios, and landscape a neat manicure.
16. Worx Wg184 40v Power Share 13”
- It is another lightweight innovation with a weight of 8.6lbs. It has a cutting swatch of 13-inches and a line length of 0.08 inches. It requires two lithium-ion batteries of 20V.
- It has a variable speed function for you to control its speed.
- It is a cordless lawn edger
- It also has a pivoting head, and D-grip handle.
- It does not come with an adjustable handle.
It is a great machine with a lot of benefits and convenience for you, if you own a large garden which requires delicate maintenance. With all its user-friendly advantages, it will rank high in the list of best cordless lawn edgers.
17. Sun Joe Hj605cc Cordless 2-In-1
- It has a 7.2V rechargeable lithium-ion battery for hassle-free manoeuvre. It has a conveniently long 3-foot extension pole.
- As a hedge trimmer, it can fit into places where mowers cannot reach to function.
- It is a powerful, handy tool.
- The blade speed of the product is a bit slow, so working on this tool might be a little time-consuming.
Being a 2-in-1 edger that acts both as a grass shear and a hedge trimmer, this marks itself as a great tool. The only problem, is it is not as fast as the other edgers. Apart from this, it is a user-friendly and environment-friendly device as well.
18. Worx Wg170 Gt Revolution 20v 12″
- The trimmer weighs only 5.5lbs. It requires two 20V batteries to be operated. It has got rubberized twin wheels and an adjustable shaft. It is easy to navigate as a mini mower.
- It is equipped with an Innovative Command feed Spool system that feeds in an instant line. It also has a telescopic shaft that adjusts according to the height of the user.
- A versatile product with seven handles and six different rotating head positions.
- It also has an adjustable spacer guard to protect the flowers of your garden.
- The trimmer is pretty time-consuming.
It is a very efficient tool in terms of the benefits that it offers. Although it is a little slow, its 3-in-1 feature makes it reasonable enough to be purchased and used.
Your Pick For The Best Lawn Edger?
Before buying a Lawn edger, it is most important that you know your needs. There can be a lot of products in the market, but what your garden demands, should determine the kind of machine you are opting for.
Do not forget that lawn edgers are very expensive tools for gardening. Therefore, the money that you spend on buying it, should be well utilized by the benefits that you get out of these tools. Also, do keep in mind that the most expensive lawn edger, does not ensure that it will be the best in its quality. It may have its specifications and benefits, but still may not fit the requirement of your garden.
Another thing that should be in your mind before purchasing any lawn edger is that some of these machines are not for regular use. They may be great products, but still, they might wear themselves out due to your using them regularly.
Hence, it is recommended that you go through our research and only chose the product that suits your garden needs the best. Also, do not compromise with your comfort, as lawn edgers are the reason for many people’s back pain.
Other than these points, you need to understand that the list of the tools that we have listed should be looked into individually. After our long hours of research, we have short-listed the mentioned lawn edgers based on their performance, customer satisfaction report and the tool’s specifications.
It is a daunting job to mow a lawn. This is why we have mostly short-listed tools that are lightweight and user-friendly. Happy shopping!